POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 1. photorealistic play-doh 2. round off at csg edges : 1. photorealistic play-doh 2. round off at csg edges Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  1. photorealistic play-doh 2. round off at csg edges
From: Toon
Date: 24 Oct 2006 09:00:01
Message: <web.453e0e3fc2ea32ac109a9bf40@news.povray.org>
I'm a complete POVray newbie and I'd like some tips on the following:

I'm trying to render a photorealistic image of play-doh objects. So far,
I've had no luck in making a convincing picture. Can someone help me with:
1. Tips on texture/finish/lighting to create a photorealistic look of the
clay. ( See for example
http://www.hasbro.com/playdoh/default.cfm?page=freshideas&lvl=Intermediate&object=Car
)
2. How can I create rounded edges that look like two clay objects have been
pushed together? For example when I union two overlapping spheres, the edge
between the spheres is very sharp. I would like to round off these edges.
Not outwards like in a blob, but inwards (see the example). The objects I
would like to give a "play-doh look" are imported from another program and
consist of many csg's, so I think it will be difficult to manually adapt
all objects. I am kinda looking for a simple trick that adds an artificial
shadow or something to everywhere where there is an edge of two csg's in
the union and is not too rendering time expensive.
3. Some general tips on how to give the image a photorealistic look...